Friday 27 May 2011

Friday Cover Up - Marc Gets Ty-ed



Last week I gave you the brilliant EMA cover of Robert Johnson's 'Any Kind Heart'. Today I give you another absolute doozy. As I mentioned back in April, International Record Store Day throws up some amazing releases. Well, one we didnt get here in Australia (well, not in Brisbane anyway!) was the 12" EP release by San Fran rad merchant Ty Segall called Ty Rex (through Goner Records). Now this is special in any case - Ty Segall is brilliant no matter what. But this is Ty covering six Marc Bolan classics in amazing fashion. I have fond memories of T.Rex - mainly lazy summer days in my first year as a teacher, swimming in the pool that I tended for the next door neighbours, drinking and smoking J's, with Bolan et al belting out the stereo...it was beautiful. All six songs rock, and I strongly suggest you get this - you can get a clear vinyl version from Goner Records, otherwise hunt around people!


Ty Segall - Fist Heart Mighty Dawn Dart (T.Rex cover)
Ty Segall - Salamander Palaganda (T.Rex cover)

Also exciting is that Segall is winging his way to Aussie shores! He plays at Woodland on July 7! Ill fight all and sundry for one of those tix...

No comments:

Post a Comment