Tuesday 2 March 2010

6 Degrees of Sonic Youth #3 - Violent Soho


The 3rd piece in my Sonic Youth triptych is an introduction for you (most likely anyway), and a reunion of sorts for me. Hailing from Queensland, Australia (and as they proudly attest, from Mansfield, postcode 4122), young grunge worshippers Violent Soho have been ripping apart all and sundry for the best part of 5 years now. I had the pleasure of seeing them just before I left Australia back in 2008, and once again they made my head explode with their energetic fury. I always thought they had the opportunity to go far. Not long after I had arrived in London, they did a whirligig tour of Europe, dropping in at the 100 Club to fuck things up before they disappeared surreptitiously from my radar. But the boys from Mansfield have been anything BUT quiet, and 2009 was a watershed year for them, seeing them touring the US extensively with the likes of Band of Skulls, Built to Spill and the Dead Weather, all under the watchful gaze of Thurston Moore, who has signed them onto his Ecstatic Peace label. It feels great to have a 'I told you so' moment of seeing a small group rise up and get the recognition you knew they always deserved. Their 2nd LP (and the 1st under Ecstatic Peace) Violent Soho is out in a week - get it!!!

Oh, and they are playing with Society's Ills AND Thurston Moore (solo) @ the Ecstatic Peace showcase gig at SXSW on March 19...

Now enjoy a couple clips of the band, including a chat with Moore...

No comments:

Post a Comment